During this season, many of us shift our focus to what we plan to buy for those in our families and sometimes for some of our work colleagues. It is really a great time of the year.
Often, the things we buy have a defined shelf life – a specific time of use. When the time expires, the item is no longer of the same value. The toys or electronics we buy for our younger kids break, become obsolete or other items come along to grab their attention. The clothes we buy become outdated.
This year, allow me to introduce a different perspective on this season of giving. What about buying something for yourself or a work colleague which will have a lasting value?
I’m speaking of buying something which will help you grow. Grow your leadership, grow your influence, or grow your business. If we are not learning and trying new techniques, methods and approaches, we are not growing. I’ve often said if we are not growing, we are dying.
The only guarantee of a better tomorrow is growth today.
What are some possible gift ideas? I’m so glad you asked! Consider some of these:
1. Growth Oriented Books – if you want to grow your leadership or your influence, or help a work colleague, there are a number of excellent books. If you would like some suggestions, let me know.
2. Participation in a Mastermind Group – this is an excellent way to learn and grow with others in your organization, local community or even virtually. There are several topics I could suggest to you and if the interest is present, I can facilitate those groups, either on-site or virtually. These groups can focus on leadership or business growth.
3. Find a Mentor – Regardless of the stage of live you are in, there is always someone who has had the experience you desire to gain. Mentor relationships are not the occasional lunch when you are stuck. Rather, the best mentor relationships last for a year or longer with monthly sessions. To learn more about an effective mentoring relationship, let me know – I’d be happy to discuss some criteria with you.
4. Create And Implement A Personal Development Plan – This plan would likely include a combination of the above three strategies with some accountability to achieve measurable change and growth.
5. Hire A Coach For You Or A Work Colleague – While self-directed development plans are sometimes effective, the most successful people on the planet utilize the services of a qualified coach to help them grow their leadership, influence or business.
6. Help Your Team – Many teams are less than high performing simply because they don’t know the best ways to communicate, trust and connect with their colleagues. There are various tools available to help those on the team increase their awareness with proven techniques to improve communication, trust and connection. I can help you with several of the best available tools.
If you really want to ensure 2019 is better than 2018, there is no better time to think of investing in growth for yourself or others which will pay dividends for years to come. Be intentional about having 2019 be the best year ever for you or a work colleague.
Reach out to me and I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can.