- The transportation industry seems to be gearing up to buy more new equipment and hire new people.
- The commercial construction industry folks I know tell me the number of requests of proposals for new building, remodels of existing core building and interior space is growing significantly.
- Each day I seem to hear of a company relocating or expanding their operations in the Upstate of South Carolina where I live, mainly in manufacturing. This too will have a ripple effect into other supporting industries.
- Retaining your top employees so they don’t answer the call for a “grass is greener on the other side” career opportunity
- When you do have to hire, ensuring you are selecting the top talent needed to achieve the results you seek.
- Actively and intentionally ENGAGE with them on a regular basis learning (not assuming you know) what’s important to them, how life outside the workplace is going for them, what you can do to provide more challenge to them, etc.
- Collaboratively create and commit to a personal development plan for them so they can maximize their natural strengths and talents
- Commit to your personal growth plan as a leader – as you raise your level of leadership effectiveness, the top performers will naturally rise with you.
- Intentionally keep them informed about what the organization is working on, what their challenges are and what your top 3-5 priorities for the next 90 days include. They can begin to think about these things and lend some assistance!
10 Successful Leadership Traits
Want to know the 10 successful leadership traits? 10 skills all leaders should constantly develop within themselves to build successful teams. You can instantly download them right here!
Success! Check your email shortly for your download!
- Create an accurate job description that identifies responsibilities, levels of authority, expected results and competencies necessary for success. Identify the character, culture and competency requirements of this position. Competencies are simply those talents, skills and behaviors that must be utilized to ensure successful performance. More on this later.
- Identify your selection team – who will help you interview and assess prospective candidates? Best practice is to have 3-5 people on this team. Equip them with the information from step one and ensure they all agree on what it is you are looking for. If this team isn’t aligned, you can’t possibly expect to hire a top performer.
- Conduct thorough interviews using behaviorally-based interview questions connected to the competencies you have identified. More on identifying the interview questions to ask later.
- Assemble the interview team within 24 hours of the interview to share, compare and contrast what they learned in the interview. Narrow the candidate pool to 2-4.
- Consider administering a validated assessment tool to provide insight into the capability of the smaller candidate pool.
- Consider conducting in-depth reference calls with the top candidate’s former bosses, peers, team members and/or customers. Check out their social media presence to help ensure a fit with your culture and character expectations.
- Develop a detailed on-boarding plan for their first 90 days at a minimum. Provide feedback along the way.